Field Day is just around the corner – June 27-28, 2020
What a wild year this has been so far. Field Day 2020 is close at hand, and situations are constantly changing. We’ll try to keep our members up to date with the information they need to participate on this page, so check back often.This year we are faced with a dilemma. We want to exercise field communications similar to disastrous conditions, but we want to be safe, and not make it feel as if you *must* attend. One of the stated objectives from the ARRL website is “to learn to operate in abnormal situations in less than optimal conditions.” I think we are learning as we go with this one, so stay with on on this journey of bumpy roads and dead ends!
Our current plan is to abide by VA State guidance on COVID-19, and maintain an environment for operations that reduces transmission risks while remaining operational. Here are a few items that will change during our Field Day 2020 activities:
- No potluck or provided food, so please bring your own
- Masks are not mandatory, but encouraged
- Social distancing and wipe-downs between operators will be conducted
- No sharing of headsets/headphones, so bring your own
- No active invitation of public, but we’ll still talk to them
Things that we hope won’t change:
- Bottled water will be provided
- At least 1 club provided station will be set up fully
- Other stations will have computer, antenna, and DC power (via powerpole) available
- Radio Rummage (bring your own wipes for sanitation)
- Field Day Learning Activity
- Talking about ham radio
This year, our club will participate at Randolph Park in Dublin, VA (Map).
Here is our schedule of events:
|6/27 – 08:30AM||Setup at Randolph Park|
|6/27 – 10:30AM and on||Radio Rummage|
|6/27 – 2:00PM||On the air|
|6/27 – 4:00PM||
Educational Activity – Tuning Manual Antenna Tuners
|6/27 – 8:00PM||Listen for W1AW Bulletin – CW|
|6/27 – 9:45PM||Listen for W1AW Bulletin – Phone|
|6/28 – 10:00AM||Listen for W1AW Bulletin – CW|
|6/28 – 11:00AM||Listen for W1AW Bulletin – Phone|
|6/28 – 2:00PM||Breakdown and event end|
More information about amateur radio can be found here.
More information about Field Day in general can be found here.
If you can’t make it to our event, use the Field Day Locator from the ARRL to find a club near you!